The floods which inundated Latrobe caused damage estimated at $180 million across the north of the state. (Supplied: Tasmania Police)
Two years on from floods that devastated north-west Tasmania, the hard hit Latrobe is pushing on with plans to help floodproof the town.
A multi-million-dollar project will upgrade infrastructure to protect the town from future disasters.
The state and federal government have pledged a combined $4.4 million to the project.
The Federal Government has stumped up the majority of the funds, with $3.4 million announced on Saturday by federal minister Angus Taylor.
“The Latrobe area has been severely impacted by flooding over the years, particularly in 2016,” Mr Taylor said.
“We know this support will ensure the best long-term solution for Latrobe.
“That will include flood barriers and a range of other initiatives to ensure we never see a repeat again of what we saw in June 2016.”
Tasmania’s Infrastructure Minister Jeremy Rockliff said the project would provide better protection and improve the resilience of the Latrobe township.
“The federal contribution is significant,” Mr Rockliff said.
“With our $1 million contribution and with a further contribution by the Latrobe Council, we’ll see up to $5 million invested to this necessary infrastructure project.”
Latrobe still recovering
Latrobe Mayor Peter Freshney said his town was hit hard during the June 2016 floods.
A 75-year-old woman died, and floodwater inundated hundreds of homes and businesses.
“The impact has been heartfelt, it’s been longstanding,” Councillor Freshney said.
“We have people currently who are still out of their homes.”
The council has prepared a report on minimising the flood risk in the town, which considers four options.
It recommends protecting all developed properties from the modelled Mersey River floodwaters and increasing the flow capacity of Kings Creek.
“This project will now be delivered,” Councillor Freshney said.
“We’ll start work almost immediately on the engineering and design components, which council will fund and then we’ll get construction underway as soon as possible.”
Earlier this month the Federal Opposition committed $3.4 million to fund the project.
The council will hold a public meeting on the report on Monday.