A forgotten phone and wallet have prompted a shock for an Adelaide mother, who discovered her house ablaze when she drove home to retrieve the items.
The incident at Aldinga Beach south of the city is one of several fires across South Australia in the past 24 hours.
Beade Amann was driving towards Morphett Vale with her son when she realised she had left her phone and wallet behind at her Butterworth Road home.
Sarah Hancock tweet: Firefighters have extinguished a house fire at Aldinga Beach, neighbours say a pregnant woman has been treated for smoke inhalation. @abcadelaide
“When we took off, there was no indication of anything and half-an-hour later our house was on fire,” she said.
“When I arrived [back] here there were a couple of neighbours trying to control it with hoses.
“[There were] flames coming out of the roof and an enormous amount of smoke.”
Country Fire Service (CFS) crews were alerted just before 11:00am and brought the fire under control within an hour.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated but the roof has been gutted and the damage bill is estimated at $200,000.
“The only guess I can make is the aircon,” Ms Amann said.
“It worked last night and this morning when I turned it on it wouldn’t start. Then I noticed it had the wrong timing on it, it was AM not PM.”
The damage bill of the Aldinga Beach blaze is estimated at $200,000. (ABC News: Sarah Hancock)
Neighbours said a pregnant woman who was at a property next door had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Earlier, a family escaped a house fire on Balee Road at Happy Valley which was caused by an unattended candle.
The alarm was raised just after 5:00am and the Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) has estimated the damage bill at $400,000.
“Battery operated candles are a good and safe alternative to traditional candles,” an MFS spokesperson said.
A fire at Port Augusta which caused an estimated $250,000 damage is believed to have been caused by children being left near a fire place.
An electrical fault has been blamed for a fire that sparked a fire in a roof at Windsor Gardens, while a blaze that damaged floorboards at a Thorngate property is being treated as suspicious.